Monday, June 26, 2006

Camp Adventure

Well this is new territory for me. For the last four summers, I've kind of made a living in the summer time doing church camps. Between Ludlow Falls, Prairie Camp, Bayshore Camp, Kansas whatever it's called camp, CDYC, and other youth conventions, I've been able to see and do a lot serving as a worship band member at a lot of camps. But ironically enough, I've never been a camp counselor. I don't know why that is since I keep saying how much I love working with kids. I guess when people think of me they think drummer (which is what I would hope), so they never think to explore my other giftings. But luckily (or as we say in Christendom, "as God would have it"), Corey Mann and Judy Gregory saw some potential in me and allowed me to serve as a counselor at Adventure Camp last week for GCC's middle schoolers. Now that I've had that experience, I'm so sad that I've missed out on serving that way for the last 4 years. To be able to be apart of God's work in such a huge way, by just being myself to some kids was an amazing feeling. I didn't feel like a disciplinarian (which is what I hated about teaching), nor did I feel like I had to act like a fool all the time to make the kids think I was fun. Granted there were a lot of moments where God had to whisper "it's not about you right now," but for the most part, I just let myself be totally consumed by these kids, especially the two amazing guys I had with me all week. Riley and Sam were just simply fantastic. They were honest, they were funny, and I don't remember once ever been mad at them, worrying about them, or being frustrated. God did great things last week, I'm glad I got to be a part of it. It's funny how even though last week was in no way about me, I came home feeling changed. Two thumbs up!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Corey Mann said...

I thought you might have a good time.

2:07 AM  
Blogger J Aquila said...

You were the man dude. You got my vore for MVP or Best Camp Rookie and Best Beard for the Week.

Slap ... 2nd Base.

Great job this weekend to.

Aquila - Out.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

I'm so proud of you! I knew you would do a great job. Why do you think I keep trying to get you to come to MCSC. When we hang out to celebrate your birthday I want to hear all about it. Keep loving Jesus my friend. Thanks for letting me worship with you on Sunday.

8:23 PM  
Blogger aaron dewinter said...

Dude, I love you! I'm so gladd the kids had you to lean on and have you pour into them.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home