Friday, January 19, 2007

Communion

At Granger and a few other places I've been, we take communion by intinction (dipping the bread into the wine/juice). I'm not sure if that's the correct word, I'm not sure of the reason why we do it, and I'm not sure if there even is one. But what I do know, is that there's an odd little side effect about that method that has changed the way I think about communion. It seems that everytime I take communion, it's impossible for me to not get juice all over my hands. And as I walk away, I can't help but think about the symbolism of that. Jesus blood is on my hands. I realize that sounds a little sick and morbid, but past that, I hope you can see the significance. My sin is the reason christ had to die. His blood is on my hands; it's my fault. But at the same time, there's incredible joy in that. Knowing that the sacrifice has been made, and there is hope and love for me now. No matter what's been going on in my life. No matter how good or bad things may be going in my life, I get to be reminded everytime I take communion that it's finished. No guilt, no worrying, no fear needed. Christ has made the way to re-unite us. At first, the initial response was to clean my hands...but not anymore. I rub that juice in as hard as I can. And if my hands are a little sticky for the rest of the night, then that's just fine. I had a walking reminder of the sacrifice that was made just for me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

This is one of the many reasons why I love you! Amazing post. I know that it is finished...great lyrics!

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home