Friday, January 05, 2007

Good times


My buddy, the good reverend Jason Miller, got an opportunity to lead/teach new community tonight. He did a great job leading us musically, but also sharing from the word, and sharing from his heart. Jason has held a pretty special place in my heart for the last 5 and half years. Jason and I met a few weeks into my first semester of college. I remember hearing about Jason from a friend of mine back home. My friend and I were talking about weird tendencies we have while we play music and my friend brought up the fact that he knew this guy named Jason who sucked his cheeks in when he played piano. So fast forward to school, I was standing in line in family christian bookstore (then bethel's bookstore) purchasing my text books. I was standing on a skateboard while standing in line, which I'm not sure why, and Jason walks in. The first words out of my mouth were, from across the store mind you..."Hey, you're Jason Miller, chapel band piano player right? You suck you cheeks in when you play." At the time I thought nothing of the oddness of that statement. But he came over and talked to me anyway, and after he witnessed me embarass myself on drumset during my first ever jazz band rehearsal, he still showed up at my door a few days later to ask me to play drums for a college service he was putting together at his church called HUNGER, I'm sure only out of desperation. Well there would be a ton of memories the ensued from that fateful conversation. But through mission trips, church camps, college, conferences, church services, and all the other fun things we experienced together, our friendship has only gotten stronger and weirder. He even helped bring me into the flock/legion that is Granger Community Church. He helped me walk through my musical puberty, and I helped him walk through his leadership puberty...by giving him hands on training with drummers who don't like to cooperate. For awhile I kinda felt like I've been sorta following Jason around, and it bothered me. But I guess I realized, even if that's the case, he's lead me to some pretty cool places. I can't wait to see where I get to follow him next.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

I love you guys! Thanks for letting me tag along so much. You guys are always so gracious by letting me desegregate the group. I had a great time at IHOP and am very thankful for all of you.

5:29 PM  
Blogger J Aquila said...

you guys look like you're both about to transform into women.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home