Monday, September 25, 2006

Who's goin left?

Corey did a great job speaking at Lifeline tonight. He talked about stepping up. God doesn't need us to do anything, but He wants us to be a part of His kingdom. He pushed the kids to do something, and be a part of the ministry at church, serve and pray for their schools, and do whatever else they can for God. And I think the students really responded to that call. There was definitely a different attitude in the room after Corey finished speaking.

But the entire time he was speaking, I couldn't get this image out of my head...

Does anyone remember this scene in the movie "Saving Private Ryan?" Captain Miller is asking his men to do something they don't really feel like doing. They keep making excuses and trying to find a way to talk him out of charging an enemy bunker. At one point, one of his men says "Seems like an un-necessary risk given our objective ,sir." To which he replies, "Our objective is to win the war." I'm guilty of that a lot with God. I see things that are wrong, but I don't take any action, because I feel like it's not my job, or its a job for some one with different giftings. That may be the case sometimes, but definitely not as often as I use the excuse.
But the real thing that catches me about this scene is when the Captain is making his battle plan. He assigns on man to go right, says he'll go up the middle, and then asks..."Who's goin left?" No one responds. Finally after an akward silence, a man who really shouldn't be volunteering steps up, because no one else does. A few moments later, you can see the regret in the sergeants eyes for not volunteering. He tries to make up for it, but it's too late. I don't ever want to feel like that with God. I don't want to have try and weasel my way back in with God after I intentionally didn't step up to something He was calling me to. Luckily, we have a God who won't tell us..."maybe you should shut up!" when we ask Him for forgiveness. But I need to remember that sometimes there's things in the Christian life that I don't really feel like doing, but I do them anyway. I do them because I love God, and I love his people. It won't always be fun, but it's our duty.

4 Comments:

Blogger versejer2911 said...

well put jeff.

4:16 AM  
Blogger Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

Well I'll admit I'm guilty of the same thing. Why do I have to be so stubborn? Great thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

6:55 PM  
Blogger J Aquila said...

I love Saving Private Ryan.

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very well said!

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home