Thursday, September 07, 2006

Stampede

Has anybody ever seen the movie, "The Lion King?" If you have, recall the scene where Simba get's caught in the stampede. Right before the stampede starts, all you can hear is this low rumble. And it's not the good-towels in the dryer-low rumble. It's more like the-here comes the death star-low rumble. And like an idiot, he just stood there confused. Not until he saw all those animals barreling down on him did he take off running. Then of course, daddy had to come down and save his butt, and we all saw what happened from there.

I don't want to be ultra-revealing about my life or anything, but I think that pretty aptly describes the last few months of my life. I heard the rumble....oh....I heard it alright. I knew something was coming. I vividly remember sitting down and telling Andrew Schaefer that I heard it. I guess I was just hoping that maybe that low rumble was a more of a-when the furnace kicks on-low rumble, rather than a-when all the kids go running for the dodgeballs at the beginning of the game, and you're the fat kid-low rumble. Well it happened, the stampede came rolling down the hill, and I was too late. I was stuck in the middle of a gigantic swarm of bad news. Call it satan, call it the consequences of my actions, call it bad timing, call it whatever you want. Bad news from all angles friends. I went to Steak and Shake tonight at about 1:30 in the morning, and just sat there, looking out the window at nothing. Why didn't I get prayed up when I felt it was coming? Why wasn't I ready? How could I let this happen? I wasn't mad at God. It's not His fault I wasn't ready when the hard stuff came. I had nobody to blame but the guy who was staring back at me in my bowl of soup.

---BUT---

I came home, sitting in my chair, wondering how in the world I was going to get to sleep tonight with everything I had on my mind when God decided He'd clear his throat a bit. He reminded me of a verse that I was so focused on at the beginning of this summer, and forgot all about. Jeremiah 2:13: "My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water." When all these things in my life were falling away from me, it felt like my life was falling apart. God reminded me in that moment tonight that He is the number one focus of my life. I let all of these side things take priority all too often, and it get's me into trouble. I need to always be mindful of the fountian of living water, and be focused on God; let Him always be the center. And when I hear the rumbling, I don't have to be worried. I can just hold tight to that knowledge. I can know that life can rumble and shake me up all it wants. God's ultimatly in control of all of it.

I know it sounds corny. I know you've probably heard it before. But sometimes, the simple things don't ring true until you're forced to realize it on your own. I can wake up tommorow knowing that what I thought was a mess really isn't a mess at all. It's just God shifting my course a bit. And sure, it'll be a little weird, and it'll take some getting used to where He is taking me. But there's so much hope in knowing God is taking me wherever I'm going. So bring on the weirdness. I'm ready now...

6 Comments:

Blogger versejer2911 said...

Hang in there dude. Remember Isaiah 41:10...."So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Tim

5:27 PM  
Blogger Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

Sorry things are rough right now. I would wave a magic wand and fix if it I could. Thanks for being real and sharing the things God is doing in your life. Love and prayers my friend!

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff...anything we can help with? Love, Mom.

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey jeff, i wanted to send you a quick note of thanks that is overdue. patrick & i met you not all that long ago but i'm glad we did.first, at lifeline, then camp(need i say it-GO OXFORD), then mexico..and the beat goes on. and i've seen you wear about 25 different hats(& one pair of cool red shades).seriously, we were in church this morning and i saw you beating on those drums..you are a very Multi-talented dude who demonstrates a great amount of flexibility.from band guy to camp worship band guy to counselor to intern to mexico camera/video guy to mexico bongo drum guy to whatever God has planned for you. i think its definitely going to be worth the gumby routine that your going through. he's shaping you for something cool jeff. hang in there, we really appreciate you.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Kara :-) said...

Jeff,
You are amazing. I love that I got to meet you and get to know you over the summer. Everywhere that you go, you shine Christ, and I love that. God is most definitely going to take you places, and even though the road might be rough, it is obvious that you are going to great things for him. I read your blog and it totally clicked with me. I ignore the "stampedes" in my life all of the time. I hear it coming, but I continually ignore the warnings and then end up breaking down in a giant crash at the end. Thanks for being honest. I don't have any idea what your bad news ending was or what your situation is, but it helps to know that I'm not the only one who deals with it. I am the master of the “run, run, run, then crash and burn” roller coaster. Thanks for sharing. You have some wise words. And you’re right, although the crash after the stampede is awfully painful; the feeling afterward of really knowing that you are redirected and headed in the right direction with God guiding you is amazing. And this comment is way too long, so I will stop now. I really hope things start looking up for ya.

9:56 PM  
Blogger ylmurph said...

great post - and my favorite verse...

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home