Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Irony of Life


As I'm sitting here eating my cereal, I'm looking back at college and the decisions I made about my future while I was there. And how ultimately, none of it really mattered. Towards the end of my senior year of high school, I had decided where I wanted to go to school and was down to the business of picking a major. I had my heart set on being a photography major so I figured I'd pay a visit to my uncle who was working as a photographer at the University of Illinois. His advice to me was not to waste my money on the degree, pointing out that college will teach you antiquated techniques, all of which won't do you any good in the real world. It would be best to just do the reading and practice on my own.
So with photography out of the question, I thought I'd go ahead and try my hand at student ministry. Bethel had a great program for it and I loved the faculty. But for some reason, I didn't see a future in it at the time. Oh, Jeffrey.
Now, I'm sitting at registration at Bethel, still trying to figure out what to major in. I figure music performance must be the natural choice because that's really the only other thing I wanted to do. To clarify, playing drumset was all I wanted to do, but I figured it couldn't hurt to bone up on my marimba and timpani right. But the more I looked at it, it seemed so unsafe to major in music, so I majored in Music Education.
A few years later, degree in hand, I work full time in student ministry, I freelance in photography and I still play music on the side. The only one of my four major ideas that never paid me a dime...the one I actually have a degree in.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather Stevens said...

hahahaha is that picture of when you graduated? you still look EXACTLY the same!! hahah!!

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home