Thursday, January 01, 2009

I'm a bandwagon fan


As a sports fan, it's kind of frowned upon to be a band wagon fan. For those of you who don't know what that means, a bandwagon fan is a person who switches support to whatever team/game/allegiance/belief happens to be successful at the time. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I completely switch. I have my teams...The Red Sox, The N. Y. Rangers, and the Colts (still thinking about whether I'm a celtics fan). I will not ever be abandoning them. But I hop on some bandwagons from time to time and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. When people who seem to be constantly doomed for failure start to do well and have sucess, I'm legitimately happy for them. Maybe that makes me a bad sports fan, but I'm pretty sure it makes me a good person. Seems like I keep getting on and off the Cub's bandwagon. I really really want them to win a world series. I sympathize with them about their drought, but mostly I grow tired of hearing about 'this is the year' from their fans. And by the looks of the off season moves they're making, this year won't be the year either.

The band wagon I'll be getting on for 2008 is the Boston Bruins band wagon. They're one of the oldest franchises in the NHL. They're also the old home to one of my favorite players, Ray Bourque.  Ray played for them for a long long time with no Stanley Cups, so he peaced out to play for a winner at the end of his career, and retired after hoisting the cup with the Colorado Avalanche in 2001 (at least it wasn't the red wings).  Anyway, the bruins have been bad for as long as I've been a hockey fan, and they're killing it this year.  So if you see me wearing some bruins apparel when they make it to the playoffs this year, don't yell at me.  I'm well aware of what I'm doing.  I guess the only problem is, the Rangers aren't bad this year either and they're in the same conference.   Hmmmmm.....moral dilemas.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

Why must you hate the Red Wings so? They did win today!

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home