Thursday, August 23, 2007

On a serious note...

As many of you know, I'm originally from Ottawa, OH. I called home this afternoon to check in with my parents, just the usual chit chat. For some reason, there was no answer and the machine didn't pick up. I called both of my parents cell phones...no answer. During the middle of the Oasis Leaders meeting, I got a call from my mother. They didn't answer their phones because they were down at the City Highway garage filling sand bags with rescue workers and volunteers trying to help Ottawa recover from the worst flood in it's recorded history. I had no idea this was even happening. My parents are currently housing some folks who's apartment is completely underwater. Due to some recent rains in the area the Blanchard River, which runs through downtown Ottawa, has been rising and rising as the rainwater drains and other rivers flow into it. Over 500 people have been removed from their homes in our small town and the governer has declared a state of emergency. My family is without power, and probably will remain that way until the electrical substation ceases to be flooded. My family is doing alright, especially since we just recently had the water proofing around our home redone. But may of our neighbors have been bailing water and most people in downtown Ottawa can only get around by boat. I included some photo's I've taken from the Toledo Blade and the Lima News. Please pray for the folks back home who have been displaced by this, and the recovery efforts that are underway.

Volunteers in Ottawa being taken to and from homes in the scoop of a front end loader.

Woman surveying the damage in her home on the south side of Ottawa before being taken out on a boat by an Volunteer Fireman

Another woman being helped out of her home by members of the Ottawa Volunteer Fire Department.

Interstate-75 around Findlay, OH...about 20 miles from Ottawa.





2 Comments:

Blogger J Aquila said...

wow. It's amazing how you hear or don't stuff likes this on the news. Are you heading home to help at all?

12:03 PM  
Blogger Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

That is insane. You should have told me so I could be praying. I hope your family is doing okay. I'll be praying.

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home