Monday, December 10, 2007

shooting a notre dame game


I was watching the photographers at the Notre Dame basketball game the other night and I think I was a bit more interested in what they were doing than what was going on in the game. Probably because ND was slaughtering NIU, but anyway. I saw some cool things.
If you'll notice, this guy had two camera bodies. He used one camera for when they were at the other end of the floor, with I believe 100-300mm zoom. Then he had another body for in close with a 70-200mm. The part that intrigued me are the Pocket Wizard Wireless Flash remotes on top of the cameras.  If you look at the full size version of this photo, you can see what one of the remotes looks like.  He's got a spare on the outside of the bag on this lap.  I saw the flashes popping, but I couldn't see the actual flashes at first. But then I found them.There was a catwalk hanging from the dome one either side of the court.  On the four corners of that catwalk, at least three photographers had attached some studio flashes that were triggered by the pocket wizards. If you look really close on the photo. You can see the same 'walkie talkie' looking unit from the top of the photographers camera attached to the rail of the catwalk and wired into one of the flashes.I also noticed the end of a 16-35mm Canon lense sticking out behind the center post of the backboard. My best guess is that he had it set to be focused on the foul line for whenever folks were shooting free throws. I noticed he had a remote in his lap for that camera so whenever players were standing at the charity stripe, he grabbed the remote and shot away. It was a ton of fun to watch the photographers at work on saturday night. I wish I could see some of their pictures though. If you want to see the picturese that I took, you can check them out over at my picasa album.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home